Thursday, September 3, 2026

Wow!

 6:20 to 7:10am, 63 Degrees, Cloudy, Wind 5 SSE, Bar 30.00 falling

I talked to a neighbor yesterday and she suggested I sit behind Number 1.No body is in Number 1. It has a nice view of the Fall Brook valley. Fall Brook rises to the east and drops off to the south, running down to Back Cove in Casco Bay. It is definitely more wild back there. Fall Brook is part of Canco Woods there. I am going to have to walk and explore back there at some time. I did not like the sound of the cars coming from Ocean Avenue. I can still hear the car pollution from my normal sit spot. However, it is less. So, I decided to move back to my regular spot. 

I am glad I moved back to my normal spot. I like feeling that I am in the woods. At Number 1, I am on manicured grass above a retaining wall. Shortly after moving to my regular spot, I saw a large bird fluter to the top of Old Red. I could not see it through the leaves. Way to many Norwegian Maples. Then it took off heading west. Large hawk! In The Little Forrest. The light was not great. When I looked at Merlin It had added Red Tailed Hawk. So I am going with that. I have heard them overhead but not seen one in the Little Forrest. Thinking of moving my sit spot to below the retaining wall so I can see the Crick in the Gulley and Fall Brook Valley. Some exploring will happen. 

It was a subdued morning. Storm is coming. It looks from radar mostly north and south of here. Birds still moving about. A few birds flying from the feeder at Number 1 to the dense copse of trees. I noticed a spot that needs a name. At the end of the back yards where it gets wild again. I saw a few birds moving about there. I do not have a great line of sight. However it needs to be checked out. At one point I could hear Downy Woodpeckers calling back and forth. One was over by the feeder at Number 1. And the other at the spot where it starts to get wild. Then the downy at the feeder flew through the Gulley into the wild where its partner was. Pretty cool. Also, there was another close pass. A dark bird flew within five feet of me below head hight. Moving fast. Maybe a catbird. 

Merlin Identified 15 bird species. Mostly the normal suspects. I saw the Red-tailed Hawk. It will be moving south soon. It will probably stay in the States. Northern Water Thrush, Merlin really wants that one. They migrate to Central America. It is possible one is here and remembers when there was water here. And again with the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment