4:15 to 5:00pm, 71 Degrees, Mostly Cloudy, Wind 8mph NNE, Bar 29.86 rise
The birds were chattering normally for a half hour and then.... they went quiet. Not sure why. There were no alarm calls, just quiet. It will remain a mystery. Picture is of a female Downy Woodpecker in the tree I call Pinky. Most days I sit a downy will appear in this tree. Some great dead branches for a woodpecker. And it is on the way from the deeper woods across Fall Brook to the feeder ant Number 1.
Just because the birds are quiet does not mean they are gone. Or out of my sight. I saw what I think was a song sparrow in the detritus on the side of the Gulley. A two inch bird moving amongst leaves and twigs is hard to spot at 200 feet. It was motion. It hopped a few times. Then I used the binoculars to see it. In its own way it was very exciting to see and identify a bird that way. The hoping motion gave it away.
Merlin Identified 15 bird species. Most of them were probably there. I still do not think the Northern Waterthrush is there no matter how many times Merlin says it. But you never know. The song sparrow was not on Merlin. I also saw a Mourning Dove. Not on Merlin.
No comments:
Post a Comment