Wednesday, September 30, 2026

More...

8:00 to 9:30am, 59 Degrees, Cloudy, Wind 2mph SSW, Bar 30.07 steady

As an active alcoholic I always wanted more. Folks in recovery will sometimes say there favorite drink was the next one. I feel that way about the sit spot. What is coming next? Is there more? Can't wait to see what is happening with my non human friends in the Little Forrest. Went down to Fall Brook yesterday afternoon for a bit. I had nothing going on. I saw the Coopers Hawk above. Not the first time I have seen a Coopers in the Little Forrest. I saw one fly through the Gulley when I sat up there. Wild to see it from above. I was trying to get myself to leave this morning. I was having a hard time because so much was happening. I swiveled in my chair towards the brook and a Northern Flicker took off and then I heard large wings furiously flapping. A coopers must have been drinking right behind me! It was not twenty feet from me when I first saw it! Gone too fast for a photograph. 

There is more! I must have seen a hundred Common Grackles fly over and through the canopy. I saw a group of birds flying from behind me and over at first. I thought there was a predator chasing the birds of the Little Forrest. Then there were more. Some birds gather together before making their migrations. I am now guessing that grackles do that. 

But wait, there's more! I saw a flicker down at the brook drinking. Also, I took some good pictures of it! Not only that I got my first decent pictures of the elusive Red-Bellied Woodpecker. Some more good looks at the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. And More! I saw some Downy Woodpeckers too! So much activity this morning it was hard to know where to look. 

Merlin Identified 27 species! The most ever. It did not identify the Coopers Hawk. I also saw a couple of warbles through the binoculars. By the time I got the camera up they were gone. Several red dots. The waterthrush, Ovenbird, Eastern Towhee, Brown Thrasher. Waterthrush was there. Others are possible. 

Balance is important. I need to be careful of too much. It does not really matter what the thing is. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment