Tuesday, September 15, 2026

The More I Learn

 




6:20 to 7:10am, 48 degrees, Clear Skies, Wind 4 mph N, Bar 30.38 rise

The more I learn the less I know. Or really the more I learn, I realize just how much more there is. I was convinced the birds had chilled out due to weather changes. Cold mornings were way quieter than before with below 60 being a kind of line. Beware small sample sizes! It felt more like a summer morning. Birds were chatty and moving about. Way more species than the last week or so. Just when I was thinking I have a handle on the new normal. It is always when I think "I got this" that something goes awry.

At one point this morning, a mallard flew over. I heard its call and new it was flying over. Its call was moving in flight. I looked down and mallard was displayed on Merlin. Usually when Merlin hears a mallard it is an agitated squirrel. There was an agitated chipmunk in the copse of trees this morning. Not a normal spot for that. I could not see anything. Birds did not really quiet. So a mystery. 

It was nice to hear the Downy Woodpecker come from over by Fall Brook. Across the Little Forrest to the feeder at Number 23. I can usually find them before they get to the feeder. Not always though. I am convinced that Northern Cardinals live in the dense copse of trees across from my sit spot. I see them move from the feeder at 23 to the copse. Also, moving from the top of the bog to the copse. I can rarely see them in that group of trees. Plenty of shelter from prying eyes. Still thinking of moving my sit spot into the Fall Brook Valley. Must explore down there. 

I did not post yesterday. I went out in the morning and it was moderately chatty. In the afternoon, It was windy. Merlin does not like the wind. I saw more species than Merlin heard! Merlin heard 2 species (crow/ Cardinal) and I saw 3! (Cardinal/catbird/chickadee) 

Merlin heard 20 species this morning. It still wants there to be a waterthrush. least sandpiper maybe. Magnolia Warbler! could be traveling through. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment