Sunday, September 20, 2026

Am I connecting?


 10:30 to 11:30am, 59 Degrees, Cloudy, Wind 5mph S, Bar 30.10 fall

The birds were pretty quiet during my sit. Someone across Fall Brook past the trees was cutting their lawn. I do not know if this was why. Or it was the beginning of the rain. It drizzled a few times in my hour along the brook. I think it is the fifth tome I have sat there. I do not yet have a feel for what is baseline. 

I had an unexpected visitor this morning. I heard some branches break and looked downstream. I saw my neighbor from Number 7 for a second. He was clearly moving up steam. He crossed the brook and was gone. No more branches breaking. I expected him to come up to me and talk. But he was gone. I suspect he saw someone down by the brook and wanted to investigate. His unit is twenty plus feet in elevation higher than the brook. I was hoping to talk to him. I heard he had or maybe has a wildlife camera I would love to hear what is there in the night and when we are not looking.

I am sitting about an hour each day in The Little Forrest. I am certain that I am connecting to the place. Watching and listening to the inhabitants is certainly a connection. I question just how welcome I am by the inhabitants. Yesterday, there was an agitated squirrel across the brook. I believe I was the source of agitation. It took about a week before the squirrels at the top of The Gulley stopped being agitated. It will take some time for them to get used to me. I am noticing the comings and goings of birds. The routes they generally travel. Some I noticed from sitting above the Gulley. I now have a different perspective on some of those pathways. 

This morning lying in bed with the window open I could hear the birds start to sing. First a Blue Jay, then a Black-capped Chickadee, and on of my favorite songs the Carolina Wren. I love this connection. it is not just birds singing. It's jays, chickadees and wrens. While i do not yet recognize individual birds, I bet some of them recognize me. 

Merlin Identified 13 species. Only the Hermit Thrush had the red dot. Everything else is a regular voice in the Little Forrest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment