Saturday, September 12, 2026

Wind!

 


3:00 to 3:45pm, 69 Degrees, Clear, Wind 10mph S, Bar 30.10 even

Wind from the south blows the bird sound away. I heard a Blue Jay and an American Herring Gull that Merlin did not. Not sure what the gusts were up to. Maybe fifteen to twenty, Clearly a new baseline for fall. Less species and less birds altogether. Although some exciting things still happen. I sat for a bit yesterday afternoon and a Red Tailed Hawk was right above me in the trees! It was screeching up a storm. I think if that happens again I will try and walk out and see if I can see it from the parking area. 

I also went out this morning. Wind was about 2mph. Birds were much easier to hear. It was in the low fifties. I figured it would be quiet. It was for parts. Still some chatting and with the lack of wind Merlin was picking most of it up. I saw my first Goldfinch in the part I normally sit in. They are usually down by the bog or Fall Brook. I hear them but they do not normally visit my section of the Little Forrest. 

Merlin heard 6 bird species in the afternoon. I hear two more.  In the morning Merlin Heard 12 species. I am not sure about the Hudsonian Whimbrel. A shore bird. It could have flown over however. 

No comments:

Post a Comment