8:15 to 9:30am, 58 Degrees, Clear Skies, Wind 9 NNE, Bar 30.24 fall
This bird is a gift. Every new bird is a gift. Really, every bird is a gift. Behold the Northern Waterthrush! I did not believe there was one in the Little Forrest. I would think there needs to be more reliable water than there has been. It just goes to show how little I know about the Little Forrest and my non human friends there. I usually just sit in my chair and don't move. However, I saw this bird in the sun and had to investigate. I was curious as to what bird was overlooking the Bog.
I saw a White-breasted Nuthatch hit the feeder today. A gift! I am excited to see what comes next. Lots of new things today. Each a gift. The feeder is above a dry run. A place that water runs when Fall Brook overflows. It makes where I sit an "Island." Yesterday, I saw more chipmunks than I had before. Many making alarm calls about me. Today there was at least one chipmunk down in the dry run. What a difference a day makes. There is a bush/tree that overhangs the dry run. Birds usually stop in this tree/bush before dropping onto the feeder. Today there were Northern Cardinals in the Tree/bush. Not on "my" side mind you. However they were there checking things out. I would love it if they would feed while I was there.
I saw at least two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers up in a willow oak. At least that is what I am calling the trees for now. Same tree I photographed the sap sucker in two days ago. I think I saw a Northern Flicker in the willow oak closer to me. Definitely, a woodpecker. I did not have a clear view. I am working on figuring out what the trees and bushes are. This too is a gift.
Merlin Identified 20 bird species. Only one red dot. The now photographed Northern Waterthrush. It will now go on the list. Eastern Wood-pewee and Northern House Wren were Unlikely in Portland today. However, they could have been there. I also, Saw at least one woodpecker that was not on Merlin's sound identification.
What feels like a gift to you today?
No comments:
Post a Comment