Sunday, September 13, 2026

More Rain!


 4:00 to 5:00pm, 65 Degrees, Cloudy, Wind 4mph S, Bar 29.83 fall

It rained all day and we got less than half of an inch. We needed the rain. We need more rain still. After raining all day there were a few small puddles in the crick. It would be nice if Fall Brook started flowing. It may not happen until the spring thaw. If we get any snow. Wicked El Nino happening right now. I am reading that it will be the strongest ever recorded. I am so new to the Little Forrest that I can not compare it to a normal or wet year. 

It was pretty quiet after the rain. It probably rained a bit during my sit. The Northern Cardinals were still fairly active. I was able to see them in the undergrowth much better than usual. I could be getting better at spotting them or they are more open with me. I suspect it is a bit of both. I can hear them but without a bit of motion it is hard for me to find them. The one above was across the Gulley in the back yard garden of the Barrows. I saw a couple down in the leaves across the Gulley. If i did not see motion I could not have found them with the binoculars. The cardinals really blend in. I could not see them without the binoculars even though there was nothing in between. Great camouflage.

I picked up a Blue Jay high in the canopy by motion. I would see motion and try to get the binoculars on it. It moved four or five times before I cloud get an identification. It was not making noise. As gerry says, "little by little the bird builds its nest." I am learning the ways of the Little Forrest, little by little. Practice makes progress. 

Merlin identified 6 species. They were all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment