Saturday, September 19, 2026

Who knew?


 

8:00 to 9:15am, 55 Degrees, Clear Skies, Wind 7mph N, Bar 30.12 steady

The Common Yellowthroat (above) likes to feed and cavort down in the briars and brambles of the boggy part of The Little Forrest. I am learning. Practice makes progress! As my friend Gerry, an 80 something lobsterman, says "little by little the bird builds its nest" except he says it in french. There is a joke. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, Practice, Practice. What are you practicing today? 

I have been sitting down by the Fall Brook in the Little Forrest for about four days. Today was the first time I really noticed how much bird life there is in the Bog. Down in the briars, brambles, and ferns. The birds do not come up to the top where you can see them easily. However, you can follow the motions. Being mindful of what motion is the wind and what is bird motion. This takes practice. In the time I spent sitting above the Gulley, I learned to differentiate wind, squirrel and bird motions. Just by sitting and being mindful of what is going on in the Little Forrest. I also saw a Yellow-rumped Warbler. And more than a few Mystery Birds.

On my way down the side of the Gulley, I heard an owl! Super exciting. Merlin unfortunately did not hear it. It did identify a Great Horned Owl later. I did not hear a hoot then. I listened to the song of the Great Horned Owl and it could be what I heard this morning. It is on the Ebird list for Canco Woods. 

it was a bit of a strange morning. Downy Woodpecker did not come up in the first hour. Also, Goldfinch, one of the most heard birds in the Little Forrest did not come up until I was on my way out. 

Merlin Identified 20 species. Northern Waterthrush again. This time I saw a mystery bird by slow moving water so..maybe. Great Horned Owl was the other red dot. I am inclined to believe this one. First time in a while it identified a Cedar Waxwing. I had thought they went south. New, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Lincoln's Sparrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment