6:00 to 7:00am, 63 degrees, Clear skies, Wind 3mph W
I did not see as many birds as I have the last couple of days. I was starting to think I got this. That always leads to trouble. I did see some birds fly high overhead. Ducks or geese, it is hard to tell when they are flying fast and you only catch glimpses through the tree canopy. For the most part, the bird sounds were not as close as they usually are.
When I firs sat I heard a Bobolink. I really do not think of them in this habitat. They do have an unmistakeable song. It sounds like bob-o-link. I guess that it is named after its song. Merlin said Bobolink despite Unlikely in Portland Today. I am confidant there was one.
At one point I could hear a pair of Cardinals calling to each other. They started off to my right and above. I sit just inside the tree line. Almost all of the calls and songs are in front of me. This pair moved towards me. At one point directly over head. Not visible through the canopy. And then behind me, close behind. I am twisting and craning my neck. Calls are closer and closer. Then down and to my left a female Cardinal. No obstructions between us maybe twenty feet. As soon as I make eye contact she is gone. A couple of flaps and a glide into the brush on the other side of the gulley. Were they checking me out? Were they trying to see if the bird feeder was safe? I do not know. I know there are photographers that have become friends with the animals in a forrest. I am not sure how they do it. Perhaps the animals/birds and I will become friends.
Today Merlin heard 23 bird species. As usual there were several that were Unlikely in Portland Today. The Bobolink, Yellow Rumped Warbler, White Throated Sparrow, Dark Eyed Junco, The last three too early for their migration. Also, Wild Turkey. I heard a Herring Gull and Wild Turkey came up. Then Herring Gull. I think this was a missed ID. So maybe the other time was the same. I still think they can get here from Canco Woods.
As I was eating my breakfast, I could hear a robin. I was in my condominium. Then a Red Eyed Vireo. Man, I think I am getting good. My hearing is getting super tuned in! I pocket started the Merlin recording. The Cardinal Rule is don't take yourself to seriously!
No comments:
Post a Comment