12:45 to 1:15pm, 68 Degrees, Cloudy, Wind 6mph ESE
It was quiet in the sit spot for the first five minutes. Then came the Black-capped Chickadees! the one in the picture was maybe seven feet from my face! Really cool. I know at least the chickadees have found the feeder. And if the chickadees know, other birds know. For about five minutes the chickadees were feeding at the feeder. I could hear their calls start over near Fall Brook and back they went after spending time at the feeder. After snapping a few photos I let them be. Only occasionally looking directly at them. I want them to be comfortable with me. At one point I looked up at one, made eye contact, and it made an alarmed chirp and was gone. And yet, they kept coming. I am not sure if it was just a pair or more. They seem to be okay with me there!
At one point I heard a woodpecker pecking at a tree over by the brook. It sounded larger than the Downy Woodpeckers I see in the sit spot. I have seen downys pecking and they don't seem to make much noise. Then I saw a downy come from that direction as they do. At one point a male was in the dead tree just to my right. Maybe three feet from me and up six feet. Then it made its way over to the suet feeder at 23.
I saw my first chipmunk in The Little Forrest. I am surprised it took so long. I have seen them around the condominiums property, so i figured they must be in The Little Forrest. I have mentioned squirrels. I also saw a ground hog just outside the tree line. So much to be learned and observed. I ran into a neighbor who lives at the end of the gulley, just outside The Little Forrest. He referred to the gulley without my prompting. So clearly other folks think it is a gulley. He says skunks come out of it at night. This might be a sign that I should get a trail camera.
Merlin Identified 12 bird species. Nothing out of the Likely category. It was a quiet part of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment