6:15 to 7:00am, 63 Degrees, Foggy, Wind 3mph S
First time sitting in the fog. It seemed a little more subdued than normal for this time of day. Interesting even if a bit quiet. When I walked out to the sit spot. I could hear a nice little flock of American Goldfinches at the Island. It is a small patch of green in the middle of the parking area for the condominiums. Two red maples, three evergreens(Spruce/Hemlock?), grass, and two small gardens. As usual Cardinals and Goldfinches to start.
There is a dense group of trees behind house number two. So dense, that I cannot see the house. I saw a few birds moving about those trees this morning. I feel like I am getting better at seeing the birds. Saw a few up in the canopy on my side of the crick as well. Too high to make out what they were. Going to have to start bringing the binoculars.
At one point the Black-capped Chickadees and Tufted Titmice were behind me. Left, right and center. I sit inside the tree line. One large red maple is also outside the tree line. The birds like the red maples. Only one chickadee came down to the feeder. In front of me and to my left. Thought I was going to get a flurry of birds. Almost, but no! Maybe they will get used to me. When I got home there were chickadees and titmice in the red maple in front of my condominium. Most likely the same birds I heard in my sit spot. They were all over the feeders in front of my place for about twenty minutes. With a Downy Woodpecker thrown in for good measure.
At one point I heard a call high on the wind. Clear and repetitive. A big volume call like a hawk, definitely not a hawk sound. Bald Eagle! It may not have come down into The Little Forrest, however flying over counts. That gets added to the bird list for the sit spot.
Merlin Identified 16 species. Bald Eagle, White Throated Sparrow, Baltimore Oriole, Purple Finch, All had the red dot and Unlikely in Portland today. I have no doubt that was a bald eagle. I have seen enough around Back Cove. They are here. I saw an Oriole three days ago in Canco Woods so its probably here.
No comments:
Post a Comment