Thursday, August 13, 2026

Nest?

 8:45 to 9:15am, 68 degrees, drizzle to part sunny, Wind 3mph W

When I got to the sit spot, there was a squirrel coming down Old Red. The squirrel had a small branch with leaves on it. I know squirrels use leaves in building their nests. Their nests are called dreys. So far I have only seen grey squirrels here. Was this nest building behavior? Do squirrels like oak leaves better than maple leaves. Those are the predominated trees in the Little Forrest. I guess it will be easier to find nests in the Little Forrest when the leaves fall. 

Not a lot going on this morning. There was some construction going on off behind house number 1. Big earth moving equipment sounding noises. So, things were kind of subdued. The construction noises overpowered the bird sounds. At one point the goldfinches sounded closer than they have ever been before. 

Merlin identified 10 species. Nothing new or not likely in Portland today. Saw a couple of birds flying high and cruising over the Little Forrest. Only caught glances of them as they passed on the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment