7;00 to 7:40am, 65 Degrees, Sunny, Wind 5 S
Walked out to the sit spot and could hear Cardinals calling to each other. I saw the female down low when I first sat down. She flew up into Old Red, I believe. For a while I could hear them calling in front of me and behind me. They did not seem pleased. Lots of chatter from the usual suspects for about fifteen minutes. Then Merlin ID ed a Great Horned Owl, and The little Forrest went quiet. Almost fifteen minutes of no bird chatter. Not even a distant crow or jay. I have not heard an owl in The Little Forrest. However, this is the third time Merlin ID ed Great Horned Owl and things silenced.
Merlin ID ed 12 birds. The Great Horned Owl was the only unlikely in Portland today.
Canco Woods is connected to The Little Forrest. If you go down the Crick to Fall Brook and go upstream you are in Canco Woods. An Argument can be made that The Little Forrest is part of Canco Woods. Its trees are connected to my sit spot. My guess is that most things that are in Canco Woods can be in my sit spot and heard from there. Here is the ebird list 146 birds.
I walked over there today. There is a retirement community in the woods. After I started walking the were using leaf blowers. Not really good for birding. Some good open areas where you can see into the trees to see the birds. The picture above is a Carolina Wren from Canco Woods. Saw a lot of Cedar Waxwings. Fun little birds. Also, I saw a Red Breasted Nuthatch, Not likely in Portland today. So my guess is the ones that Merlin is hearing in the sit spot are here. Saw a few Baltimore Orioles. Took me a while to figure it out because they were yellow and not orange. How bout dem O's? Definitely a better place to photograph than the sit spot. I will be back. We are in drought. Fall Brook was dry where I crossed it in Canco woods.
No comments:
Post a Comment