8:00 to 9:10am, 64 Degrees, Clear Skies, Wind 4mph NW
I sat and immediately heard the call of a Red Bellied Woodpecker! Was hoping it would show itself, but no. Sounded like the call of a Downy Woodpecker but bigger. When I heard it I knew woodpecker, kind of cool. Had to look at Merlin to know what kind.
Some White-breasted Nuthatches were calling immediately as well. They started over by Fall Brook and moved east. I could hear a pair. At one point they were on Old Red. I thought they might creep down the tree and into sight. However they kept moving high in the trees maybe past Frank's house at the end of the gulley. At least they went past my ability to hear them.
A feeding frenzy for the chickadees! they came down to the feeder while I was there. The feeder is about twelve feet from my chair and about the hight of my head. I try not to stare or take too many pictures so that they feel comfortable. At one point there were three chickadees on the feeder at once. It is really wild to have fifteen or twenty birds all around me and taking turns hitting the feeder. More than one they flew within two or three feet of my head! I could hear the sound of their little wings. I could hear The Tufted Titmice during the frenzy. They seemed mostly to be behind me and close. They, however, never showed themselves. The titmice were more vocal and closer than normal. I suspect they wanted to get at the feeder but I was there.
Merlin heard twenty bird species. Mostly the usual suspects. It did show Oyster Catcher. The Little Forrest is definitely not their habitat. However, It could be flying overhead. Its about a half mile from Back Cove, a tidal marshy area. Also, Water Thrush came up again. Also, it put up a little blurb for where to look for the Water Thrush. I am curious if this has meaning. It does not always give me a little blurb when I use the sound identification feature. I will have to look and see if there is some water around the corner where the gulley meets the brook.
No comments:
Post a Comment