Sunday, August 30, 2026

Seemed Quiet

 


5:55 to 6:55am, 59 degrees, Clear Skies, Wind 7 S

Seemed Quiet even though I heard many bird species. Fall has arrived in The Little Forrest Even if it is still 23 days away. In Maine winter comes early and stays late. Not a terrible amount of bird activity this morning. A fair amount of song and calls. The sun does not actually start to warm up the Little Forrest until about an hour and a half after sunrise. It takes its time to rise over the islands in Casco Bay, part of the Gulf of Maine in the Atlantic Ocean.   

This Grey Catbird was checking me out. There is quite often one near the feeder at 23. This morning it came into the Little Forrest and circled me a bit. It stopped a few times to check me out. It would have a clear line of site to me while still having a little something in between us. I suspect some birds have done this without me even knowing. 

The squirrels were active this morning. Not really affected by the cold. I saw at least one chipmunk. I suspect I saw the same one on two occasions. It is not often that I see a chipmunk in the Little Forrest. I am guessing where there is a whole for it from the few times I saw one. 

At one point I heard a Red-Breasted Nuthatch. Or as I like to say lobster-breasted nuthatch. Maine you know. It is the first time I was sure without Merlin.  Unlikely in Portland today. I knew! My hearing is getting better. It sounds a lot like the White-breasted Nuthatch. Maybe smaller and less deep. it is a cool feeling to know a bird sound and not question it. 

Sound can only be heard in the present moment. Perhaps that is why nature/bird meditations are so good for us. Must be present to hear the birds.

Merlin heard 22 species this morning. Way different than yesterday afternoon. Also, I do not think the wind was actually 7mph. The tree canopy was barely moving. Unlikely in Portland today. Eastern Towhee, White Throated Sparrow, and Red-breasted Nuthatch. The nuthatch was definitely here. I suspect the White Throated Sparrows are here as well. I also saw five Mallards fly over. Not a bad morning in the Little Forrest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment