3:00 to 4:00pm, 68 Degrees, Clear Skies, Wind 14mph W, Bar 29.73 rise
When It is windy the birds are less visible. Just not much happening out in the sit spot today. I saw no Black-capped Chickadees today. I believe that is the first time since I moved down to the banks of Fall Brook. I guess if you weigh a half an once, like a chickadee, 14mph winds is a big deal. It does not feel windy down in the Fall Brook Valley. Especially if the wind is from the west. I am sitting probably fifty feet below the tops of the condominiums. I knew it would be slow. I decided to go out anyway.
It is possible to learn even when you don't know what you are learning. My guess is the gut level stuff is being learned on a sit like today. the yogis of old believed much memory was stored in our guts and our hearts. Not just our brains. the expression "it was a visceral reaction", "a gut reaction", "a heart felt reaction", are all examples of this. I can often distinguish between a branch moving because of wind, bird, squirrel. I think those are more stored in my body than brain. Stuff connected to the fight or flight responses. I think these things come from lived experience. Also, I think some of them are multi-generational memories. Perhaps, the lived experiences bring them out.
Merlin heard 10 species. I saw 1. The wind keeps the birds down. I have no doubt that all the species it heard were there. I heard most of them myself.
Picture of Downy Woodpecker from a few days ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment