Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Mysteries

 

8:00 to 9:00am, 47 Degrees, Clear, Wind 14mph W, Bar 29.94 rise

I am sure the squirrel is wondering what the man is doing over there. So many mysteries in The Little Forrest. While I heard a fair amount of bird chatter, I did not see many species of birds. It seems lately, the birds are hiding more. Perhaps, they know there is a man with a camera over there. The American Robins I saw were mostly in the sun. Up high where the sun was illuminating the trees. I saw something move. First thoght was a bird. It was down low. I could see gray fur so I thought squirrel. It was not moving like a squirrel. It moved further into the brush. I could still see parts of it. I was thinking maybe skunk. It shall remain a mystery. I also, heard an animal scream. Perhaps, a cat or squirrel being attacked. Then quiet. I listened for squirrel and Jays alarms but the did not come. Another mystery. I do not have enough time in The Little Forrest to know yet. More will be revealed. I am getting better at noticing which birds are which in silhouette. At least the birds I see most often. Practice makes progress.

There was a good bit of bird song for the first twenty minutes or so. Then things got quiet. Maybe a bit after the animal scream. I was just looking over the bog and hoping something would move down in the bramble of plants down there. A hawk came flying over the Bog from the north. Over the Bog down Fall Brook then east to the far side of the brook. It went out of my sight. I expected the jays to call up a storm. However it remained silent. I wonder if the hawk, probably a coopers, came down the Gulley or from the North outsside the Little Forrest. It will remain a mystery. I could easily have missed the hawk. It went through in maybe two seconds. How many times has something gone through and I just did not notice? 

Merlin Identified 20 species of birds. I saw a coopers hawk as well. I saw 5 species. Not a great average. 


No comments:

Post a Comment