8:00 to 9:30am 55 Degrees, Clear, Wind 9mph W, Bar 29.82 fall
The shine may be gone but they are still gold to me! American Goldfinch above has lost its summer plumage. Shortly after I sat every squirrel on the North side of the Littles Forrest was shouting alarms. Not sure what had them agitated, I did not see anything obvious. So, I added new thistle to that feeder. When I came back I saw red-shouldered hawk on Merlin. I did see a bird that could have been a red shouldered. it also, could not have been. The Black-capped Chickadees have been kind of quiet at the feeder. After adding new thistle, they were excited. What had been there had caked a bit and was less palatable, i guess. An explosion of chickadees! I have been putting a couple of peanuts in shell out when I come down. Hoping to entice the Blue Jays closer. The Titmice can fly off with them. I saw no Blue Jays. Not even on the feeder at Number 2.
Most birds seemed to be hiding today. I heard them. However, they were not showing themselves. The White-breasted Nuthatches and the Downys have been shy the last few days. Not sure why. I usually see several of them. I hear both, though. I did finally see a Hermit Thrush! They love to move in the underbrush. Only once did I have a direct line of sight. Not long enough for a picture. Birds know where I am. Many times I am try to get a look at a bird. All I can see is its head. they will quite often be looking at me between leaves. I have seen enough of the behavior to think it is intentional.
The Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers were active for a while. Lots of calls. I usually only see them up in the Black Willows. They were chasing each other out of the willows and around the canopy and back. Fun to watch! Looked like they were having fun!
Merlin Identified 26 species. I saw 8. Not a great average. Mallard was from the squirrels most likely. Pileated Woodpecker came up. Would love to see one. Ruby-crowned Kinglet was a first time. Likely in Portland today. I did not see it.
"Stay gold Pony Boy"- The Outsiders
No comments:
Post a Comment