Wednesday, October 7, 2026

The Time of Long Shadows


 8:30 to 10:00am, 41 Degrees, Clear skies, Wind 4mph SSW, Bar 30.01 even

We have entered the time of long shadows. In Maine this time of year, and until spring, the shadows are always long. There really is no midday sun. Summer days are glorious and wonderful, winter is long. It takes hours before the sun reaches the floor of the Fall Brook Valley this time of year. It does not last long now. Picture above of a Brown Creeper. I took a few pictures before and after it was in this sunny spot. It was hard to see the creeper in the pictures. Same with a few other bird shots.

The birds were active today. Many out in the open. I think the lack of wind is important. I saw a Hermit thrush again! They call them hermits because you do not see them often. I am once again amazed by luck. Looking in the right place at the right time. I saw the creeper fly into a tree. My thought was it was not a normal/regular bird. I used the binoculars and followed it around the trees for a bit. It eventually got to a spot where I could shoot it. Had I not seen it initially it could have moved around me for a minute or two and I would have been never the wiser. Now it was not total luck. I have been practicing finding birds. Practice makes progress! I know to look for motion. I was in a place where I can find a creeper. Luck never happens on the couch. I/you can take actions to be in the right place and time to be lucky.

I finally saw a Red-Breasted Nuthatch. Always nice to see a bird for the first time in The Little Forrest. The creeper was a first. I thought they might have gone south. I checked and they are a year round resident! Who knew? Some good looks at a Red-bellied Woodpecker. They tend to be elusive. 

Merlin Identified 27 species. I saw 17 of them plus a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I also saw some kind of raptor flying above the Little Forrest On my way out. A really good day for bird watching in my sit spot today. 

Remember, you can create your own luck. Study. Practice. Practice makes progress! Putting yourself out there. You can find the right place and time. You will never be discovered sitting on the couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment