Friday, October 9, 2026

Peanuts


8:00 to 9:40, 51 Degrees, Clear Skies, Wind 7mph W, Bar 29.98 even

It was really quiet and then birds were everywhere! Not sure why it was so quiet. I heard a few squirrels and chipmunks being alarmed. But not the whole forrest at once.  Not too windy for the birds, just quiet. It took over an hour for the first Black-capped Chickadee to come to the feeder. Even if it is only a pair or two hear and there they are around. I at least hear them. As does Merlin. Not today. I have been puttting a few peanuts out when I sit. Hoping that the Blue Jays will come in. 

First the chickadees came in. Then a large flock of robins. At one point there were five or more in the Buckthorn above the feeder. Twenty or thirty all around! White-breasted Nuthatches were coming in. Then Downy Woodpeckers. The Tufted Titmice came too. Then the Blue Jays started coming closer. Above and around. Watching what is going on in the Little Forrest. High but watching the feeder and me no doubt. They saw the peanuts! I do not know if the other birds let them know. However, the jays got closer and closer. Into the Buckthorn first. Then one grabbed a peanut. And then another. Before long a flock of jays were grabbing peanuts. One at a time. They never hit the regular feeder. I guess there is enough reward for a peanut to grab those, when I am there. When the peanuts were gone so were the jays.

While the feeder frenzy was happening, other birds were feeding in the Bog. White-throated Sparrows were everywhere. A few Carolina Wrens were about. And my favorite the Mystery Birds. Not sure why they were quiet and then not. A mystery. Many mysteries in The Little Forrest.

Merlin Identified 20 species. I saw 9 species. I think the Mallard was a agitated squirrel. I suspect the rest were there mostly the birds common to the Little Forrest. 

Peanuts. Often an expression of I did not get much. However, the small often seemingly insignificant things can bring great gifts. Do not overlook the small things. They can be great gifts. I had a wonderful experience for peanuts. What a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment