There is water in Fall Brook today! About a half inch of rain last night. I was not really facing the brook. So, I don't know if any birds were drinking or bathing. Yesterday, I saw a Northern Flicker flying u from the brook bed. It was probably at one of the puddles. No flowing water yesterday.
A slow start to my sit this morning. It did pick up. I chose a spot on the Island where I could see the feeder at Number 2. I saw Blue Jays, Tufted Titmice, Northern Cardinals, Downy Woodpeckers and mystery birds. The jays chased off some of the other birds.
There were a lot of clear calls from a Red-bellied Woodpecker this morning. Would love to get a good look at that bird. Straight overhead at one point. Still could not pick it up. I have no doubt it was ther even without a sighting. I heard the Carolina Wrens singing upstream. Love their song! I wish they had flown in closer.
I saw a lot of mystery birds. As a matter of fact, I saw more mystery birds than birds I could identify. I see birds flying and all I can do is identify general size. Not much in the way of color. More time sitting will make it easier to identify birds. Practice makes progress! I saw two birds on my way out that I could not identify. One was in the bush at 23. Could not get a good enough view through the foliage. And this bird below.
Too big to be a sparrow. Perhaps robin sized. A mystery.
Merlin Identified 23 species. There was so much water that a heron stopped by. It was flying overhead. I am not believing Black Scoter, an open ocean bird. Water Thrush again! Yellow-bellied Flycatcher is new. I saw a few small birds in the could be a Flycatcher. So I am adding it to the list.

No comments:
Post a Comment